The Credit Union sends out Newsletters every quarter. Be sure to subscribe by going to our archived newsletters page so you can stay up to date with all People’s news!
Recent Skimmer/Fraud at Local Gas Stations
There has been an increase in recent card fraud due to skimmers at local gas stations. Remember to always be aware and to always take preventative action when using ATM’s or gas pumps. Below are some helpful tips for you to follow. If you would like more information on how to protect yourself from fraud, please review the information located in our Security Center.
- If possible, use ATMs and gas pumps that are familiar. The more routine the visit to the machine is, the more likely you will detect a potential issue.
- Look for evidence of tampering. For example, some gas pumps will place a security seal over the portion of the gas pump that controls the card reader. If that seal is broken, that is a strong indication that the card reader has been tampered with. The seal will say "void" on it if it the card reader door has been opened.
- If the gas station is unfamiliar, try to compare the card reader at your pump with card readers at other pumps. If there is a discrepancy, you should pay inside, use a different pump, or find a different gas station.
- If possible, run the transaction as a credit transaction instead of a PIN transaction. And if a PIN must be entered, cover the keypad when typing the PIN in.
- If using an ATM that is located inside of a convenience or grocery store, look for evidence of tampering. Ways to detect a skimmer include lightly pulling on the card reader and pin pad to ensure neither easily detach from the machine, paying attention to colors and graphics on the machine that appear to be different than what should be expected, and paying attention to obscured or lack of flashing lights that are normally displayed on the machine.
- Pay attention to anyone who appears to be loitering or otherwise hanging around a machine with no visible purpose. If this is the case, use a different machine, report the suspicious person to the business, and/or ensure that you are covering the PIN pad when typing in your PIN number.
- Regularly monitor credit card and account statements and look for discrepancies. If an issue is detected, contact us at 800-252-6525 right away.
ADA Accessibility Statement
If you are using a screen reader or other auxiliary aid and are having problems using this website, please call 800-252-6525 for assistance. People's Community Federal Credit Union is committed to providing a website that is accessible to the widest possible audience, regardless of technology or ability. Please view our full ADA accessibility statement.
Visa Account Updater
Visa is providing a new free service that automatically updates your debit/credit card information with merchants who maintain your debit/credit card information (e.g. subscription services, utility companies, etc.). Everyone is automatically opted-in for this service. More details and information on how to opt-out.